Monday 7 August 2017

Call To Arms 2017


Call To Arms was a 5 round, 1500 point, 40k tournament hosted at St. Pats over the weekend.  I think it was the first to host the 8th ed. rules in our area (Wellington).  Everyone was using the initial release Indexes and no Codexes were allowed.  We played a mixture of Eternal War and Maelstrom.   The scoring system seemed complicated but is actually not too taxing if you take the trouble to read the player's pack.  I did glance over it once or twice and I was far too busy painting my army to be fair.  I didn't finish my force in time, but I'm not particularly gutted because I painted (most of) an entire army in just over a month.

My list consisted of the Dark Imperium starter set marines (minus Primaris Ancient and a Lieutenant), a Predator Annihilator, a Whirlwind and a Stormraven with Multi Melta, Assault Cannon and Hurricane Bolters.  I had 21 points spare but no painted/assembled models to fill it with.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
++Game 1 | vs. Aeldari-Ynnari | Eternal War - Retrieval Mission ++
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Lady of Pain

My first game of the day was against Brendan Dee. He was the commander of a beautiful Dark Eldar army.  Well, actually it was Aeldariynnari army.  And I thought the Dark Elves were called Drukhari now?  I really need to catch up on the lore because I had no idea there was a third, joint faction. Or is it a fourth if you count Harlequins?  I had to ask someone about it (not Brendan because that would have been embarrassing) and yes, apparently the Triumvirate of Ynnead was a fairly big release from GW at some point in recent history.  Jeez, I need to get my shit together.

Brendan's flyers looked like a danger so I decided to target the Voidraven Bomber in my first turn.  I managed to inflict 1 damage which did not prevent it from dropping a void mine on my command squad.  My opponent then brought his lances to bear and the Ravagers were rolling hot.  Goodbye Predator.

You got a purty mouth, boy

A lonely Solitaire belt-flipped across the table into my battle line. It stood there, tea-bagging the Whirlwind for the next 3 battle rounds.  Hiding my Whirlwind way across the table, out of LOS seemed like a good idea initially, but it was unable to fall back and shoot. Without any supporting troops, it was reduced to playing dodgems with it's tormentor.

I love the smell of napalm in the morning

The Stormraven fought on bravely against two enemy flyers and managed to take down the bomber before being shot down. I had very few models left on the table at this point.   I think it was only turn 3 so alarm bells were ringing.  Or was it a death knell?  Yvraine 'gazed' at my army pityingly and the Windriders mopped up.

So I was tabled in my first match.  I didn't feel too bad (little did I know what was in store for me).  Brendan is an astute general but very laid back and friendly (typical Kiwi). He finished 2nd overall and I didn't have high expectations going in.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
++Game 2 | vs. Aeldari-Craftworlds | Maelstrom of War - Contact Lost ++
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


My second game was against the smiling assassin, Glen Burfield (take a look at his WIP Imperial Knight and weep gently into your paint station).   I complained loudly when I discovered who I was playing.  Surely, they could have found me a less canny opponent given my first round drubbing?  But it turned out that Glen had been tabled in his first game too.

"This is how it ends!  With Skeletor triumphant at last!"

We joked at the beginning of the match that our warlords were Skeletor and He-Man but there's nothing remotely funny about Maugan Ra at all when you think about it.  He's just nasty with 3 units of Dark Reapers.  I went first and managed to kill one Wave Serpent by focusing the firepower of my entire army on it.  They've got to be one of the most resilient vehicles in the game with that Serpent Shield.

His freehanding skills are...  acceptable
Of course, all the really dangerous stuff was inside them.  D-Scythe wielding Wraithguard and crack shot Dark Reapers made short work of my flyer.  His Farseer psyker powers were also annoying.  I was Doomed (literally) from turn 1 and Fortune favours the Craftworlds, not the brave.


All of which resulted in my second tabling of the day. It was still a fun match though.  I honestly don't know how Glen manages to create an enjoyable atmosphere whilst smashing your face in.  He must work in real estate.

The cutest zombies you ever did see.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
++Game 3 | vs. Adeptus Mechanicus | Eternal War - No Mercy ++
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My third opponent was an Adept of Mars, Simon Smith.  I seized the initiative on a command point re-roll.  They should have written that into the core ruleset because burning a command point to re-roll for seize happened in every one of my games.  In this case, it was worth it.

Rolling thunder

Simon baited me with his Destroyers and Onager Dunecrawlers and I took up the offer. I managed to blow the Dunecrawlers to splinters in 2 turns.  I was distracted from the implacable advance of his Kataphron Breachers (awesome conversions below).  They put the hurt on my vehicles in a big way with their Arc-haic weaponry and it was all downhill from there.

I'd love to know what these were made from.

I loved his Sicarian Infiltrator conversions (below) too.  Right up to the point where they jumped on my head.

Surprise! You're dead!

My captain decided to get medieval and engage in fisticuffs but I was held up just long enough for the Mechanicus ranged firepower to do its job.  The light show commenced.  I'd have run away if I could, but the Space Marine rules make it really difficult so my noble Astartes were fused into the lining of their power armour.

These are not my dice.  The horror...

Simon is a kindly soul despite his mechanical heart and wanted to call it as we ran out of time.  He knew that he would immediately table me in his last turn and wanted to spare me the misery of a 'hat trick' crushing defeat.  However, I was in a fey mood at this juncture and insisted that we finish the game.  I got what I deserved, masochist that I am.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
++Game 4 | vs. Aeldari-Ynnari | Maelstrom of War - Spoils of War ++
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


 Day 2 dawned with the promise of something better. My fourth opponent was Ross Brewster and more Aeldariyinarrynnari goodness.  This mission was interesting because you can score your opponent's objectives.  I got off to a decent start and bagged a couple of VPs in my first turn.

Fun with fusion guns

Fuegan and his Fire Dragons were pretty brutal and Ross kept them in cover (mostly) making them very resilient with their armour saves.  It wasn't enough against the combined firepower of a Stormraven gunship and I wiped out most of a squad, plus transport in 1 turn.

Re-roll 1's for everyone!

My insipid Inceptors finally managed to do something (apart from dying) and grabbed line breaker.  For 225 points these things are rubbish.  I know they got better in the new Codex but I was playing them badly and spent so much time gluing the stupid bloody stands back on that I don't think I'll take them again.  I'm going to drill holes in the models and slot the stands in if I do.

Make sure you take superglue to the tournament if you use these boys.  Flight stands should be banned under the Geneva Convention.

The tide started to turn in the 3rd round when my foe made a push with his right flank.  He had board control now and when I drew my last two tactical objectives, they were deep in enemy territory.  This effectively gifted the points to my opponent and I ended up losing 6-9. Ross was gaining the upper hand anyway so the score probably reflected the game.  I was so relieved not to be tabled for the 4th time in a row that I actually felt cheerful.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
++Game 5 | vs. Salamanders | Eternal War - The Scouring ++
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regan used some Horus Heresy Mk IV for his tacticals.  I think they look pretty good with Primaris marines so I might steal the idea.

 My final game was against Regan O'Halloran. This was a mirror match (sort of). He was playing Primaris Marines and had two Predator Annihilators.  He (wisely) took additional tactical marines to pad his army out with flaming Salamander goodness.

Civil War

He had no flyers however and  I got first turn which probably won me the game. I alpha struck one of his Predators and hid from the other one.  This severely hampered his anti-armour and he didn't bother trying to kill my Stormraven.  Given free rein, it just flew around the board wrecking stuff.

Excuse me, could you tell me the way to the train station?

Regan played to his strengths, having more bodies than me; concentrating on killing my infantry and claiming objectives.  He capped the 'superior' objective, managing to hold onto it for most of the game but consistently forgot to charge my Whirlwind. If we had been scoring each turn instead of at the end he might have come out on top. But the Stormraven is a beast and it inevitably whittled him down. I killed the last Salamander HQ sitting alone the 4 point objective with my own captain (who was rolling saves like you wouldn't believe).  An 11-4 victory and the first game of 8th edition that I have ever won!

The Salamanders finally discovered that Red Scorpions are a successor chapter of the Word Bearers.  We had to keep our secret safe.

So I had a pretty good time considering.  I'm not convinced that Primaris Marines are my army of choice but its very early days and we might be seeing a lot of filthy Repulsor tanks going forward.  The chapter tactics in the codex will help a lot too (when I finally get round to buying it).  It was interesting that the bottom 4 were all using Primaris marines (or maybe I'm just trying to salve my butt-hurt).  Bryn Jones placed 5th with his Crimson Fists but the only new model he took was a Primaris Lieutenant.  The rest was old school marines and lots of Razorbacks.  Filthy Elves made up 3 out of the top 4.  I despair sometimes.

Tyranid board by Aiden Corlett.  I seethed with jealousy.

A few more pictures because I got a bit snap happy.

Sean Sullivan won best General with another beautifully painted army.

Many thanks to Craig Stewart for hosting a successful tournament.  It must have been more stressful than usual given the brand new ruleset. I'm always grateful to TO's who put in all that effort for no particular gain apart from the joy of seeing a hall full of toy soldiers.  Craig mailed us his thoughts (I've quoted a snippet) on the tournament and the scoring below.

Pete Dunn won best painted.  Proving that his hobby skills are as disgustingly resilient as ever.

"That was the bloodiest Wh40K tournament I think I ever been involved in for my 10+ years on the tournament scene. As I mention in my speech there where 23 15-nil results out of the 60 game. Round 3 had 7 of them. Even veteran players were not exempt from some of the 15 nil results.

8th edition is so fatal for shooting with high AP reducing so many saves.

I left the points at 1500 not knowing how long the games would take. Granted we are all still learning and familiarising. On average out to the 12 games each round there was 2 that didn't complete in the 2 hours and 30 minutes. I thought there would be a lot of people with spare time after an hour but most results came back at the 1hour 45 to 2 hr 20 time frame."

- Craig

Imperial Guard brought all the guns. (Dave Hodgetts)

Name
Surname
Army
Pos
Total
BP
Paint
Sports
VP
War-lord Kills
Sean
Sullivan
Dark Eldar- Drukhai
1
92
68
9
15
69
5
Brendan
Dee
Ynnari
2
78
57
6
15
68
4
Dave
Hodgetts
Astra Militarum
3
78
54
9
15
55
2
Glen
Burfield
Craftworld Eldar
4
77
53
9
15
53
3
Bryn
Jones
Space marines
5
71
47
9
15
34
3
Peter
Dunn
Nurgle Daemons
6
66
42
9
15
35
0
Bruce
Manning
Chaos Space Marines EC
7
65
45
7
13
40
2
Cody
Drake
Dark Eldar- Drukhai
8
64
42
7
15
44
2
Ryan
Pike
Tau
9
63
40
8
15
36
2
Felix
Nesbitt
Tyrinads
10
62
39
8
15
44
2
Chris
Parkin
Blood Angels
11
61
39
7
15
48
3
Aiden
Corlett
Tyranids
12
60
36
9
15
31
2
Thomas
Watson
Dark Angels
13
59
39
5
15
36
1
Ross
Brewster
Ynnari
14
57
36
6
15
41
1
Regan
Ridge
Astra Militarum
15
56
34
7
15
22
2
Michael
Price
Tau
16
55
35
5
15
37
2
Simon
Smith
Adeptus Mechanicus
17
54
32
7
15
36
3
Alick
Harris
Tyrinads
18
51
30
6
15
36
1
Michael
Charles
Death Watch, Assassins
19
48
29
6
13
27
1
Luke
Henning
Necrons
20
47
26
6
15
24
1
Daniel
Salter
Space Marines Salamanders
21
41
22
4
15
22
0
Regan
O'Halloran
Space Marines - Salamanders
22
41
21
5
15
19
0
Kent
Jackson
Space Marines
23
41
20
6
15
29
1
Luke
Forrest
Space Marines
24
40
17
8
15
19
1

20 comments:

  1. A smiling assassin you say? Skeletor and I both approve!

    The Red Scorpions are looking fantastic mate, it wad a pleasure to see them in person... and make you take them off the board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW_02k7LRMo

      Delete
  2. You guys really know how to throw a shindig on the other side of the pond. Great to see so many different armies at the top of the table and some really well painted ones too! Great report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I suppose even Drukhari need their time in the sun. But they're still sodding elves!

      Delete
    2. That one, particularly, is hard to reconcile! And what's up with Pete Dunn finishing in the top 10?!

      Delete
    3. Papa Nurgle bestows many gifts to his favourites...

      Delete
  3. A really awesome report and a really awesome bloke, thanks for the game mate. I too faced the smiling assassin, tabled me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he's good like that. Cheers and thanks for the enjoyable game. That Night Spinner always gives me bad memories but you were gentle with me.

      Delete
  4. Nice! Looks like it was a good time - Some great pics from the event, those mechanicum conversions are stellar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he told me what they were converted from but I can't remember now. I was too busy feeling sorry for myself to take note.

      Delete
  5. Great looking armies! Really nice to look at, thanks for posting mate, I'll nick that lightning effect for my grey stormraven too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, I nicked it off someone else! Cheers.

      Delete
  6. Nice write-up! And congrats on being able to pull out one Game at least. Lets you end the weekend on a high note.

    Wave Serpents are up there on the resiliency scale. Ghost Arks might give them a run for their money, tho.

    I'm pretty sure those Breacher conversions are mostly made from the Kastellan Robot kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bingo! Thanks Westrider. Wow, those are expensive conversions then. I agree that Ghost Arks are just troll boats. They are no longer open topped though and 2 Gauss Flayer arrays aren't exactly terrifying for 170 pts.

      Delete
  7. Hey mate, nice write up, is there anywhere to see the army lists people were using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The lists weren't published online I'm afraid. Everything is already out of date anyway with the content hose that GW are spewing out. I redid my list with the new codex and it only came to 1382 points!

      Delete
  8. Great report. You seem to be having as much success at tournaments in 8th as I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you've won more than one game of 8th! Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Would you be interested in taking part in my Better Know a Blogger series? You can find examples at http://standwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/p/better-know-blogger.html to see if you fancy it? (sorry to hijack the comments, couldn't see another way to contact you).

      Delete
    3. I'd be honoured! Contact me on Monkeychuka@gmail.com

      Delete