Monday 15 January 2018

Hentai Haruspex


I finished this several days ago but was distracted by an idea for some fan fiction. I like putting Septimus (my hapless Scion) into dire circumstances on Tyranid bases and then trying to think of ways in which he could survive a grisly and terrifying death, despite the odds.


I started writing a bit of background for the model and then, by sheer coincidence, Black Library announced that it was looking for open submissions for stories in the Warhammer universe(s).  They want to showcase new writers for their resurrected 'Inferno' magazine.


So I turned it into a short story and I'm attempting to produce something at least palatable.  Its about 4000 words so far and I've submitted my 500 word sample to Black Library already.  What the hell, at the very least it will motivate me to finish and at best, GW will own the rights and issue a cease and desist order to make me take it off my blog.  GW automatically own all rights to any stories submitted.  At least then I'll know they actually read it and it wouldn't be the first time.  A friend and I received a cease and desist order from Blizzard Entertainment a few years ago when we published a World of Warcraft guide on the Apple store.  I nearly shat myself but my co-conspirator thought it was hilarious.  He had the order framed and put it up in his toilet.  However, he did remove the App.


Regardless, I've included my sample here as well as the synopsis.  All harsh criticism is welcome.  I only ever showed previous stories I wrote to people that I knew would say it was absolutely marvelous darling! and that wasn't really helpful.


Tempestor corporal Septimus Clegg and his squad of Scions are part of the Imperial forces battling to save an Agri world from a recent Tyranid incursion.  It is a battle they are losing. Dispatched on a mission to recover a package, a ‘reliquary’ from a container terminal deep in Tyranid held territory, he assumes it contains some minor relic revered by the local inhabitants.  Arriving at the terminal, the squad find it guarded by a Haruspex feeder beast.  They attempt to distract the Tyranid and snatch the package but the plan goes awry.  Moreover, the package turns out not to be the knuckle bones of some forgotten saint but something else entirely.


 ‘Castor!  Report!’ Septimus ordered trenchantly over his headset.
   No reply except radio static.  Castor could be hiding, fleeing or dead but there were other problems to deal with right now.
   ‘Davies, have you got the package on auspex?’ he demanded.
The trooper looked frantic as he played the scanner over debris and shattered cargo remains which surrounded them.
   ‘No sir!’ he barked,  ‘Its not here!’


   Davies abruptly stopped manipulating the auspex and with dawning realisation pointed it in the direction the beast had disappeared.  ‘Its still on the xenos!’, he jabbed at the controls in frustration, ‘The frakking thing must have eaten it!’
Septimus felt rising panic in his chest and fought it down.
   ‘Fall back to the rendezvous point!’ he ordered.  ‘Don’t engage until I tell you, and don’t wait for me!’  His men obeyed instantly, springing away behind the questionable safety of the stacked munitorum containers and retaining fence. He swiftly unclipped the remaining melta bomb from his pack and opened the menu display, praying unashamedly to the Omnissiah that he would remember enough to set remote detonation himself as DeVilliers had done.  He didn’t have time to be afraid.
   He glanced up as he worked and saw that it was too late.  The Harsupex stood maybe fifty meters away, it’s head cocked, regarding him.   Three hideous eyes arranged unnaturally on the left side of its head glared at him malevolently.  One of its giant foreclaws was missing, blasted away. Blistered flesh steamed into the air, but it was still very much alive. It opened its cavernous mouth slowly, almost leisurely. It was filled with writhing tentacles.


  Septimus was frozen to the spot for a brief moment.  He noticed in an odd, detached way that something about the creature’s mouth was wrong.  The claw tipped feeder palps that normally spewed forth from a Haruspex were replaced with strange, undulating tendrils.
   Then a bellowing roar issued from the orifice and the creature pistoned forward on massive forelegs. Serrated talons ripped up clods of earth in its wake.
   Cursing roundly, Clegg punched the timer override selection. He grabbed the bomb with one hand, stumbling over the wreckage the way his men had retreated.  If he tripped the override, it would explode in exactly five seconds.  Whether he instinctively knew this wouldn’t work or whether he just didn’t have the nerve to stand there as bait wasn’t a question he wasted time considering.
   Bolting back through the gap in the fence, he took shelter against the buttress of the admin block.
The cacophony of steel being torn apart in the background told him that the xenos had reached his former position.  With a hand that was not quite trembling he engaged the controls of the melta bomb again.  The screech of metal behind suddenly stopped.  He could hear Davies over the headset requesting instructions.  The sound of his own panting.  The sighing of the wind as another dust storm approached.  Then the world exploded around him.


19 comments:

  1. Very cool model/diorama! It looks brilliant and really tells the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, its nice to be able to mix my love of scifi horror with 40k

      Delete
  2. That seems like an appropiate amount of tentacles! I very much approve. Esspecially the gradient makes them look a bit like worms - which makes it even better. Or worse if you consider poor mister Septimus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Xar, I started to add much smaller, feeder like tendrils but figured it was enough. Septimus is scared enough as it is.

      Delete
  3. She’s a Beast! So many tentacles lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Siph. I never considered the Haruspex as a 'she' (or a he), but now that you mention it, I often assign gender to my nids. Tervigons and Shrikes are all female. I think you might be right in this case. I will call her 'Big Mama'

      Delete
  4. Nice! I always love Corporal Clegg's "adventures"! And all the extra WHARGLARBLE tentacles really do make for a great overall effect. Plus, I kind of have to love a conversion that leads to that much stuff sitting that far off of the base itself ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You noticed he has been promoted to corporal! Awesome! (well, it was your idea originally). I think you can guess what happens next but don't count Septimus out. He's not dead yet!

      Delete
  5. Awesome and good luck with your submission. I thought about it given my flufftastic posts but most of them are descriptive narratives, not stories. I'm not sure that's what they're after so I didn't think it worth doing, maybe I'm mistaken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be. Do bloggers secretly want to be writers? I don't know but we must want people to read our ramblings otherwise we'd just write diaries and post our pictures on Pinterest. Black Library have already rejected my submission so I'm not sure my advice is worth much. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

      Delete
  6. I don't know how I missed this post - Absolutely exemplary work, man! That is just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I'm very disappointed that you didn't comment first like you normally do! Not really. Thanks man.

      Delete
  7. Well I certainly want to find out what happens next! Amazing model by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. I'll get round to finishing it one day.

      Delete
  8. Hello,

    Can you explain what technic and color your used to pain the carapace please ?

    Thanks ! and Awesome job !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sure. I did a tutorial on the whole paint schema at https://monkeychuka.blogspot.com/2014/08/painting-mr-burns.html Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
    2. The Glazing Medium I use is Liquitex Glazing Medium : https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/liquitex-glazing-medium-237ml/25921641?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtvPjBRDPARIsAJfZz0oU4oAaf4mA6FuQDR40P4f8zX5yg3FqB3UfZqHRMC8Y-zR6SS1Ff5EaAqqkEALw_wcB

      Delete
  9. This is utterly amazing and exactly what a Haruspex maw SHOULD look like. Thank you for creating it!
    Way way back we shared it on the Warpshadow Tyranid community profile over on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CDWP2PelOLh/

    ReplyDelete