Saturday 2 March 2019

Old Stuff Day


Time for a spot of necromancy in the form of  'Old Stuff Day'.
"A chance to dig up those old posts, dust them off, and maybe put on a new coat of paint for the masses." as Warhammer39999 puts it.

First off, I discovered this gem some time ago over on 'The Lead Plague':

http://leadplague.blogspot.com/2014/04/unboxing-rogue-trader-chaos-dreadnought.html

This 5 year old post concerns the delicate and almost reverential unboxing of an ancient Rogue Trader era Chaos Dreadnought.  It rapidly descends into a kind of surreal madness and never fails to make me smile.  Undoubtedly one of the best blog posts I have ever read (although my blog digestion is a bit random), I always wanted an excuse to share it.  I strongly urge you to read it now if you haven't already.

As for my own back catalogue, I always felt that my 'Tergivon Poop' post from 2013 was sadly neglected and decided to unearth it again.  I think it has been read by several hundred web crawler servitors over the years and that's about it.

http://monkeychuka.blogspot.com/2013/07/tervigon-poop.html

Tervigons were my first real foray into converting 40k miniatures and now that I think about it, this is probably the reason why I am still in the hobby.  In retrospect, I must commend Games Workshop's insane decision to release the rules for this beast back in 5th edition, but not the model.  After chopping up my first Mawloc and creating 'Tilly the Tervigon' (pictured on the left in the original blog post) I was well and truly hooked and went on an unprecedented 40k spending spree of such magnitude that I nearly asked my bank to defer the mortgage payment for that month.  Surely they couldn't have foreseen this unexpected outcome?  Or maybe it was just as planned.  Poor old Tilly has long since been dismembered and cannibalised for other projects.  I was never really happy with her and immediately built a second version in an attempt to improve my converting skills.  I'm happy to say that 'Gertie the Tervigon' is alive and well although she hasn't seen the tabletop for about 3 years now.


In honour of her resurrection I decided to put a fresh coat of mucus on the emerging baby Termagant.  Unfortunately, I had just come home from the pub when I began this endeavour.


Playing with UHU glue whilst drunk is quite a lot of fun but I think I may have overdone it a little.  Not to worry, Gertie will always be beautiful to me and owns a special place in my heart.



14 comments:

  1. Hah! That is horrifying and disgusting. In other words, it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case, my work here is done. Cheers mate.

      Delete
  2. Indeed, don't believe I could describe it any better than Mordian just did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I think Gertie looks a lot better than the official Tervigon Model. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gertie says, 'Flattery will get you everywhere!'. But the official model has grown on me over the years. I never loved the egg sac but it was very well executed and stayed true to the concept art.

      Delete
    2. The egg sac isn't my issue with the official one, it's the way the body is curved, and the way that the weight is almost all on the pointy legs instead of the ones with hooves.

      Delete
  4. Honestly Births a messy thing and I'm sure giving birth to a full sized soldier in the middle of battles only going to make it messier. And thats a really cool model and a well executed. I really like the custom nids you have made, exocrines another that i thought was awesome and had the pleasure to play with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I didn't know you liked my Exocrine. I usually use the proper model now since it looks like both a penis and a vagina. True genius from GW that one. Cheers mate.

      Delete
  5. Awesome model, my Proto-tervigon hasn't seen use in forever. I keep thinking I should convert it back to a Carnifex but can't be bothered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nah, don't change it, jut run it counts as if you have to. I have fond memories of your proto-tervigon and it was nice to see it again on Facebook :)

      Delete
    2. That was why I did my proto-Tervigon with magnets! Still got it available, but I can also just use it as another Fex with a few quick swaps.

      Delete
    3. Found it! https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Kz442zWD47o/WVr9gxVUgeI/AAAAAAAAALc/7EJaUNiC1Tw-Pb-IJih1PkwcBH3Mw_4CwCPcBGAYYCw/s1600/TervFront.jpg%257Eoriginal.jpeg. Lovely.

      Delete