Monday 6 May 2019

Renegade


I did practically nothing on the knight for 2 weeks then had a marathon session with it today.  I think I might be a manic depressive.  Anyway, its still not done but I'm going to get some pictures out there before GW releases a proper Chaos knight and I realise that all those fiddly bits are already modeled in the new kit.


I think I like him better with the pauldrons off.  I've tarted the shoulder mountings up with some magnets and bits so that it doesn't look like I lost part of the model.


I added some mechadendrites at the back made using Tyranid and Necron tech.  There's a few bits and pieces on the model now, forbidden technology gleaned from illicit research into Xenos heresy.


Of course the main whiff of corruption comes from Chaos.  I bottled it when it came time to sculpt/plasticard the carapace.  I just dremeled off the fleur-de-lys decoration and turned a few armor pieces upside down.   I did pare down the front to make it more curvy and painstakingly cut out the maulerfiend carapace before mounting it on the door.  I'm not sure how the pilot is going to get in.  There probably isn't a pilot anyway and this is more daemon engine than mech-warrior.


I ended up sculpting much of his innards which can be viewed through the missile rack doors and exhaust ports. Hopefully I can get the red light (well, all the lights) to work better.


I estimate that I'm going break it down into 33 sub-assemblies for painting.  I might have to have a video-game binge to prepare me for this.



18 comments:

  1. Looks very impressive indead! I like him better without the pauldrons as well - they look a bit to clean - are those Maulerfiend shouldergards to small? The missile racks and the exhausts at odd angels give the monstrosity a different shape that I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Xar. Yeah the Maulerfiend shoulders were too small. The plates on the Heldrake were good but I want to keep much of the carapace clean in order for the colorshift paint to work well. That's the idea anyway. If I screw it up then this could be plan B.

      Delete
  2. Im digging the little mechanicus skull within the chaos star and the biomechanical corruption that seems to be coming from within (its not all over his armour ruining his good looks or weakening his defence). And sorry not sorry but I like the shoulder pads, I like the detail underneath and its sad that you cant see it all but it does look more finished with the shoulder pads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it doesn't matter because magnets! I'll make sure they stay on if I ever get round to playing you with Admech. I wanted to have the feel of corruption growing from the inside out so appreciate the comment!

      Delete
  3. When are you adding the kitchen sink?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I.. err... just had another idea to add more bits. And then of course there's the base...

      Delete
    2. You need to get painting.

      Delete
    3. I'm on it. Just bought some primer at lunchtime.

      Delete
  4. That’s amazing, great use of bits and the Missile launcher is inspired. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Siph. I've got to stop buying kits and calling them bits! My finances will be ruined!

      Delete
  5. Your superb posing and sculpting give it a real sense of malice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Cheef. I'm pretty stoked with how it turned out.

      Delete
  6. Great work! I hope you've added a monster sound system to blast all the tunes

    "Oh Mama I'm in fear for my life
    From the long arm of the law
    Lawman has put an end to my running
    And I'm so far from my home"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude. This thing just keeps looking more and more badass every time I see it! The extra tentacles are really kicking the bio-organic feel up, as is the flesh on the insides of the Missile bays. Speaking of which, that Missile Launcher looks awesome! Reminds me of some of the Havoc Launcher conversions I saw people do for Chaos Dreads back in 2nd Ed. Totally digging that Chaos star over the hatch. I figured mine was piloted by a Daemon, or had been permanently fused with the thing, or something like that. Also meant I didn't have to fuck around with all the little super fiddly handhold bits :D

    "An outlaw chasing outlaws, a runner in the night
    By the radiant moon he will strike
    The seeker of all dangers has come to take his toll
    From the dead of night he will arise"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dammit, is this some sort of music quiz!? Have to admit, I've never heard of Hammerfall. I only got as far as, "on his raging horse made of steel" I'm afraid before bursting into a rendition of 'Number of the beast' by Iron Maiden (giving my age away there). On a plus note, I'm glad you like the model. I left the door handles on the sprue because I knew without a doubt that I would lose them. Not sure they will work on the model now but who knows. Everything looks different with paint on it. Cheers Westrider.

      Delete
    2. Honestly, I had the tab sitting open for ages, and commented before I saw anyone else's. The title just got that song stuck in my head. And yeah, Maiden are inarguably a better band, but sometimes I like that sort of super cheesy fantasy power metal.

      Delete