Tuesday 6 February 2018

Abort! Abort!


The test model wasn't a great success.  Or maybe it was, because I've decided to abort the planned colour scheme and do something else.  Actually I don't think it looks too bad in the picture but I've basically just given up on the recipe.  The base coat of Celestra/Ulthuan grey was ok with the Sepia wash but when I highlighted with White Scar it seemed way too white.  I used Flayed One Flesh on the real models below.


Come to think of it, they look pretty much the same in both pictures.  Oh well, it would appear that I was fussing over nothing. I don't have the purple colours specified in the recipe anyway so I'm just using what I've got for the cloth bits (Screamer Pink, Warlock Purple and Druchii Violet).  The HeroQuest model was naked so I had to practice these colours on the base.   I still haven't decided how to do the metallics.


This petitioner is definitely my favourite thus far.  But its interesting how you can change your mind as you paint the models, when other details get picked out that you hadn't really noticed before.


While I was uploading the photos from my phone I found this picture from a 40k game I had last week against Orks.  It made me smile, because that unit of Rippers held up the Deff Rolla for 2 turns (much to my opponent's consternation).  They must have hurled themselves into the gear mechanism and caused it to short out. Rippers are awesome.

12 comments:

  1. Nice! I think the second recipe does look a little bit better, looking forward to seeing 'em all finished up.

    That's a great battle shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to start skeles with a desert yellow colour. Old bones are't white and the closer to white you start, the less room you have for highlighting. You also need to pin wash black into anything that is actually a deeper cavity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats how I used to do it (I have a very large KoW undead army as you know) but wanted to try something different. I think the Sepia wash method works quite well but agree that pin washes will be required (if I can be arsed!). Thanks Rob.

      Delete
  3. So weit, so gut. Like Mordian7th, I think the second ones do look a bit better. It's not much of a difference, because it's just the top highlights, but the Flayed One Flesh gives a grubbier feel. More appropriate for dudes hauling themselves out of the ground.

    Also, just as an FYI, Warlock Purple is a pretty close match for the Xereus Purple mentioned in the WHC painting guide.

    Rippers FTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I want a yellowed, aged effect so will stick with that although I might put some edge highlights on with white.

      I think I'm doing magenta rather than purple now but we'll see how it turns out. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. I do love a good looking Skeleton! Good work, looking forward to seeing how they progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. I see you are using quite a lot of white on your squaduary submission!

      Delete
  5. I think the second option is the way to go. I think the colours blend alot better where the white really stands out on the first (not a bad thing if thats the look you are going for).

    That converted battlewagon looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Regnak. Yep, I'm happy with it. Maybe a bit of pin washing and edge highlighting but I like the overall colour.

      That battlewagon was just one of many conversions. He had a Bi-plane Bomma and a scratch built Kill Bursta tank too. Pretty cool stuff.

      Delete
  6. They are looking well, glad you had the test mini eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rory, yeah test models are always good!

      Delete