The test model wasn't a great success. Or maybe it was, because I've decided to abort the planned colour scheme and do something else. Actually I don't think it looks too bad in the picture but I've basically just given up on the recipe. The base coat of Celestra/Ulthuan grey was ok with the Sepia wash but when I highlighted with White Scar it seemed way too white. I used Flayed One Flesh on the real models below.
Come to think of it, they look pretty much the same in both pictures. Oh well, it would appear that I was fussing over nothing. I don't have the purple colours specified in the recipe anyway so I'm just using what I've got for the cloth bits (Screamer Pink, Warlock Purple and Druchii Violet). The HeroQuest model was naked so I had to practice these colours on the base. I still haven't decided how to do the metallics.
This petitioner is definitely my favourite thus far. But its interesting how you can change your mind as you paint the models, when other details get picked out that you hadn't really noticed before.
While I was uploading the photos from my phone I found this picture from a 40k game I had last week against Orks. It made me smile, because that unit of Rippers held up the Deff Rolla for 2 turns (much to my opponent's consternation). They must have hurled themselves into the gear mechanism and caused it to short out. Rippers are awesome.