Friday 23 February 2018

Squaduary Complete


Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  And sometimes it looks better in the morning.  I could probably tinker with them more but I'm calling my Squaduary done.  I decided to be a devilishly cool hipster and make up my own purple colour, not using a scheme in the Citadel Paint App.


So I went with Screamer Pink, Warlock Purple and Pink Horror with a Druchii Violet wash for the clothes.  This ended up looking sort of pink.  I checked the Paint App again (in the Pink section rather than the Purple) and sure enough, I had pretty much used the colour scheme for "Internal Organs".  Son of a bitch!


I've learned from hard experience that trying to 'fix' a colour scheme which you don't like often ends up making it worse.  I inevitably end up with a sort of "Bloodied Stool" colour (I believe Games Workshop calls it 'Dark Flesh' but achieves the effect with far less colours).  So I decided to leave well alone.


Interestingly, the hand grip for the Prince's mace was done with Khorne Red, Pink Horror highlights and an Agrax Earthshade wash.  It looks almost exactly the same (but better?).  I reckon that with a bit of tweaking (Reikland/Agrax mix?) I can achieve an old red leather look very quickly using this method, which might prove useful on other models.


The darker tones also had the effect of bleaching the bone effects so I had to pin wash between every fecking rib and joint with Rhinox Hide in order to improve the contrast.  The whole thing was becoming a chore by now and I decided to finish it there but they just seemed, I dunno, not quite right.


I experimented with some Typhus Corrosion and rust effects too but I'm not sure I like the way it clogs up the detail on the model (See the back of the Sepulchral Warden's shield).  It definitely needs to be used sparingly.  Anyway, they're done now and its time to move on.






14 comments:

  1. I think you achieved a great rich dark pink colour, very striking, nice. The weathered metal looks ace. Great looking Squad, and a week early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Siph. Looking forward to your based beakys! When in doubt, go old school!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, the purple looks great, and complements the neutral tones of the rest of the models wonderfully.

    I was surprised by how strongly Nihilakh Oxide shows up when I first started experimenting with it. When I was using it on my own Sepulchral Guard, I had to wipe some off, and then go back and drybrush my bronze back on a bit, because it was just getting completely lost in the verdigris. Which I just now realized literally means "greengrey". Never noticed that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah same here. It provides some much needed contrast and spot colour but you definitely don't need a lot. I think one pot will last a lifetime. I also found out (belatedly) that you can put it on iron was well as copper/bronze. 'Green rust' is a thing especially in salt rich environments. Never made the verdi-gris connection either but then I failed French at school. I wonder why they didn't call it verdibleu?

      Delete
  3. Great work on getting them done! Sad you don't like the finished models, I think they look good. Not planning a whole Age of Sigmar army with the scheme then? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to admit, the Daughters of Khaine are seriously making me waver on AoS. Whats not to like about Medusae? But I'd probably go with undead in the end. I like skellies too.

      Delete
  4. Beautifully done, man - Those look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This makes me feel better about them :)

      Delete
  5. Do you own a colour wheel? Normally a colour scheme is "broken" when you've got two horns of a triadic but not the third et al. When I get uneasy about a paint scheme I grab my colour wheel and see if I'm off a triadic or quadratic scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried Paletton.com but it kept giving me acid flashbacks. I don't think you're supposed to spin it around so much, however.

      Delete
  6. They look very well. Lovely colour choice I think in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hah, I found my battletech cards in the back of the wardrobe the other day. Those black and red dice with the original starter boxes were lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are commenting on my next post but last time I played with those cards was probably against you. Over 20 years ago now. Scary.

      Delete