Sunday 21 October 2018

Dark Light


Falling to Chaos is really exciting and has put me in touch with my feminine side. I can go crazy with ideas and the Ruinous Powers always approve! 'Dollhouse' accessories, for example.  Who knew that they could be so interesting?


 I bought a load of LED lights from True2Scale last week.  I was a bit worried that shipping from America would take an absolute age but they arrived in 10 days.  I paid $61 NZD (including shipping) for 7 lights and 2 power sources.  They even included a Lithium battery.  Thats pretty cheap in my book.  I bought a mixture of 5mm 'Mega' lights and 3.2mm 'Chip' lights as well as a AA battery power supply and a Lithium battery power supply.  You can run multiple lights from the same supply.  There's no soldering involved and a house plant could wire them up (red wire to red wire, black to black). I didn't even bother reading the instructions.


I spent a good few hours pulling my knight's head apart and scooping out his brains but I think the results were worth 61 bucks in entertainment value alone.

The 'Mega' lights are bigger and worked best but all the colours seemed to have different intensities with white being the brightest, followed by blue, green, red and then yellow.  I was really pleased with the effect and definitely want to use them in the finished product.  I'm just wondering if I should use more.  Maybe on the gun and/or the engine parts. 



I think the blue is my favourite


I like the red but its not bright enough


Green is pretty cool but I only bought the 'Chip' version of this and would get the larger size if I was going to use it



Cool White is the brightest but doesn't look spooky enough.


Yellow was pretty crap to be honest.


The AA battery holder was just a tiny bit too big to fit inside the Knight torso.  I could clip the edges down and maybe force it in but I'll just use the Lithium power supply instead.

This is the most fun I've had building models in years. The Imperium of the Corpse God was holding me back with its STC Luddite mentality. I only want to watch the galaxy burn.  Where is the harm in that?


15 comments:

  1. Ooh! How very seasonal and spoopy. I agree that the blue looks best - it's a colour you'd not necessarily expect which makes it even better. I can imagine more lights on the engine parts could look good but even with the one in the head it should be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesus, I thought you were talking about Christmas for a minute there and I was losing my mind. But yea, perhaps I should have called this post 'Pumpkin Head'! Thanks Xar.

      Delete
    2. I don't know what 'spoopy' means. Is it an American expression?

      Delete
    3. Well you could also go for a christmas theme! A Santa-Knight might be great!
      Spoopy is just spooky but a little more light-hearted.

      Delete
    4. A Santa-Knight would be obscene but may well fit the Slaanesh vibe. I could always make a little hat for this one at x-mas. Dear God!!! What am I saying?!!

      Delete
  2. Yes, this is excellent! Turn to the Dark Side, we have Absolute Creative Freedom ;)

    The blue is the best for the head, yeah, but maybe the red could work in the Thermal Cannon?

    "Spoopy" is a Tumblr expression. Like many such things, it started with a typo (in this case for "spooky"), and some people thought it was funny, and then it just kind of became a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Its very cathartic. I don't have to worry about squad markings, consistency or whether I used the correct shade of Khaki brown.

      Not sure I can run a wire down the arm of the Thermal Cannon but could easily disguise it as some sort of power line coming out of the torso.

      I thought I was being witty and Xarfai had spelled 'spooky' wrong but it turns out I'm just ignorant.

      Delete
    2. Eh, not being aware of tumblr memes isn't exactly what I'd call "ignorant". They're kind of a niche thing, even within internet memes in general.

      Also, I forgot to mention the chin-mounted Stubber until DMC brought it up. That's a really cool alteration as well.

      And thanks to the comment thread above, I might have to make a little Santa hat for one of my Knights when Christmas rolls around. Actually, I might have one of suitable size lying around in my Christmas decorations.

      Delete
    3. Keep your wicked and depraved Slaaneshi ways to yourself. Santa hat indeed! Degenerate! I'm probably only encouraging you by writing this.

      Delete
  3. Most impressive & I especially like the chin mounted heavy stubber!

    I'm 'mechanically 'declined' in even the simplest of situations, so have never even pondered lightning attempts for my vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's enormously fiddly and requires a bit of precision drilling/cutting but it was easier than I thought it would be.

      I'm wondering where the ammo magazine is going to go on that chin stubber but quite like it too so I'll think of something. Thanks Cheef.

      Delete
  4. Wouldn't the thing to do be put in a multicolor common anode\cathode LED and wire it all back to a base with built in space for the switching? Then you could change the colour depending on your mode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably, I wasn't thinking that far and don't want to spend any more money. Do you have the components spare? The idea of him turning red when he's angry is pretty cool actually.

      Delete
  5. Great stuff, I don't have the time or patience to LED light up Knights, Lord Halfpenny @ WeeMen has LED lit his entire 18 strong Banner with Titans too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now thats dedication! I don't think I have the patience to do a whole maniple even. Is maniple the right word? Ah I dunno.

      Delete