Sunday 25 November 2018

Curseflingers


I've been playing a lot of Shadespire lately with my Curseflingers and joined the local league.  I had the odd game with Sepulchral Guard and Thorns of the Briar Queen but the drunken bards suit my play style best.  They can play aggressively or defensively depending on the situation and don't rely on 'score objective' cards.  They are also quite forgiving when I've had a few beers and have forgotten what turn it is.  Plus I'm playing in character.

Paddy (left) is often as drunk as me on league night

I've also been playing a lot of Mechanicus which is a stupendous game and the soundtrack is so good I downloaded it to my phone.  This is the best 40k game I've played since Space Marine and GW must be doing something right when you immediately want to start an Admech army after a play session.

Even the artbook that comes with Mechanicus is fucking awesome

Additionally,  I had my first expedition into the Blackstone Fortress yesterday with Rory and Alistair which was pretty sweet.  By the end of the second combat encounter my Space Pope was almost dead and just about managed to crawl into the Maglev using destiny dice.  UR-025 was in shut down mode and Pious had 2 grievous wounds.  Alistair was playing the chicken ninja who had a chipped fingernail and a few split ends but sensibly managed to collect most of the clues.   I'm looking forward to further expeditions.

Alistair is a bit of a Tau fanboy. Note the rather brilliant Kroot Sphere conversion in this 40k doubles game next to my Razorback

I even managed a game of Killteam which was actually a disappointment after all the hype.  Rory just ran across the board and off the other side with his Nids.  And won.  I killed a few but it was a bit underwhelming and Rory said he would rather just play a 500pt game of 40k next time.  So that was that.

ZERG RUSH! (type this into a Google search engine for a nice easter egg)

All of which means that I've not been doing much hobby-wise.  I did manage to finish the Curseflingers and I'm pretty pleased with them.  I thought Anal Stormsinger's red hair turned out well and I'm proud of the vomit dribbling over the side of Seamus the Disarmed's base.  In modeling terms, I think it breaks the 4th wall and is very Deadpool.









19 comments:

  1. They Look Great, Anal Stormsinger is my Fav of the lot. On a side note you make we want to buy Mechanicus..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh, I might be overselling it. Basically if you don't like XCOM gameplay then you won't like this.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic minis!!! Seriously, I just love 'em (and am no fan of that game).

    I know the KT scenario you're referring to, and it favors Nids greatly. You may want to give the game another try before dismissing it altogether, though admittedly, no game is made for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Cheef. Yeah we chose the worst possible scenario for our armies and I will give Killteam another go at some point. I've just got too many other distractions going on at the moment.

      Delete
  3. Kill Team sounds like it has similar flaws to Mordheim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never played Mordheim tbh. Maybe I have to get out of the 'competitive' mindset for Killteam. I reckon its meant to be a fun, narrative game with RPG elements rather than balanced, competitive play.

      Delete
    2. It all depends who you played with. I used to play Mordheim with a super competitive Warhammer comp player and it would toss his toys over a) my Skaven were pretty much unbeatable, and b) my Dwarfs would just force draws (the scenarios do not work for slow high point cost bands).

      In that genre, Frostgrave is a more fun game because it came back from a RPG to a skirmish game. Part of that tho maybe that Tuomas Pirinen's ego far surpasses his talent.

      Delete
    3. I've heard good things about Frostgrave but never played that either!

      Delete
    4. It's a fun game over a few glasses of wine. The rules need a tidy up, but if you don't take it seriously, it's a fun way of spending an afternoon.

      Delete
  4. Oh, man, those Drunkcast look absolutely stellar painted up. Great work, dude!

    Just played a bunch of Shadespire this afternoon, getting ready for a Tournament in a couple of weeks. Starting to get a handle on how the Dwarves and Skaven work. Probably my favourite game right now, but we'll see soon if Blackstone Fortress manages to unseat it.

    The more I hear about it, the more bummed I am that my computer can't run Mechanicus :(

    You should probably give Kill Team another go at some point. That breakthrough mission is far and away the worst scenario in the game. Try one of the missions like Feint, Sweep & Clear, or Recover Intelligence instead. They make for much more interesting Games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grimnir is a frikkin juggernaut and will wreck your shit, scoring about 10 glory in the process. I'm guessing that's how you play him. Mechanicus is basically just XCOM but beautifully polished to a grimdark lustre. And yes, I promise to give Killteam another go at some point!

      Delete
    2. I also have a fair few "positional" Objectives in there, to give me an alternate path for getting the first few Glory to start upgrading Grimnir. Also, I had him get punked out by Riptooth one time before he even got to move, and that totally sucked.

      Yeah, my machine can barely handle X-Com. As in, I can only play for maybe 10 minutes at a stretch before it starts overheating and I have to stop and let it cool down for a while. Someday I'll be able to justify upgrading...

      Delete
    3. Riptooth has ripped me a new one on a couple of occasions too :)

      Delete
  5. Really great conversions that become even better with the paint on. Love the vomit splatter on the base - rightfully disgusting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rushed the base vomit a bit and might go back with some varnish for more of a 'wet look' :) Cheers Xar.

      Delete
  6. These are the most amazing GW figures that I have ever seen. You have set the bar very high Sir! I love these... came across one on Pinterest and so glad I followed the link here-you have a new fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I should probably upload more stuff to Pinterest. But I've grown lazy and succumbed to the cheap thrills of Facebook.

      Delete