Tuesday 11 February 2020

Echoes from the Warp


The warpstorm in my garage had abated; receding into the unreality from whence it came.  Like a storm swell which had run its course, the tides of the immaterium ebbed, leaving long forgotten detritus in their wake.  One of these items glinted in the dust-bunny darkness beneath the fridge. Beached treasure waiting to be discovered.  It was the Iron Halo of Captain Precarius, commander of my Red Scorpions detachment, missing presumed lost over a year ago now.


This revelation occurred whilst I was inflicting some mild heresy on one of my Skitarii Rangers.  I was about to perform cranial surgery on a hapless Alpha when his head pinged off the sprue under the pressure of the clippers.  I was quick enough to see it skitter across the concrete floor towards the refrigerator. When I bent to retrieve it, there was the Iron Halo, in plain view.  I was completely flummoxed.  It can't have been there before.


I remember searching the garage meticulously all those months ago.  Surely I would have seen it?  The only explanation was the supernatural.  Of course it was warp tainted now.  The Skitarii Ranger wanted to try it on and since no agent of the Imperium would ever want to touch the corrupted thing, I let him.  It lent him a certain Electropriest air but he didn't like it much. However he was wearing a despoiled holy relic of the Astartes now and he had ideas above his station.  "Got anything more... spiky?" he asked.


I sighed and sifted through the bits box until I came across some whip handles from a Witch Aelf set.  "Will these do?", I suggested.  "01000111 01110010 01101111 01101111 01110110 01111001!!" he said, in his best Bruce Campbell voice.  I decided to leave the purity seals on.  He doesn't know he's Dark Mechanicum.  He still believes in the Omnissiah, bless him.  Besides, removing 70 plus purity seals from 30+ models sounds a bit too puritanical for me.


Meanwhile, back in the land of the living, I have still not painted the second batch of Rangers.  It's giving me hives.  I did update my spreadsheet.  But I started cheating and ticking things off as done when they're not finished.  That's the other thing about statistics.  When those in charge don't like them, they just fix the underlying data.

This is my boomstick!

12 comments:

  1. Such a small addition for such a big effect...the Omnissiah must surely approve 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it depends which Omnissiah we're talking about. One of them is definitely pleased. Another one, not so much!

      Delete
  2. Perhaps a few tentacles, or crab claws, or cloven hoofs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeez Rob, the flesh is supposed to be weak. I'm having a hard time coming up with Slaaneshi ideas. All I can think of is Fritz Lang's Metropolis and that's not very sexy.

      Delete
  3. Love the outline these spiky bunny ears give him! With the gasmask he's already menacing but adding spikes - well that's an other level of heresy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol, a 'groovy' post indeed Love the story of the bits you have here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Cheef, I like to keep myself entertained.

      Delete
  5. Great addition - gives the helmet the height it needed to match the word, backpack and 'boomstick'. It was lost among all that in the original version. Now get some paint on it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I'm actually looking forward to painting this one

      Delete
  6. Love reading the little storys behind some of the decisions in your conversions. Its great. Hopefully if the warp storm deposited lost bits by your fridge you will notice my missing tyrannofex claw next time you drop a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll keep my eye out for it. Cheers Rory.

    ReplyDelete