Tuesday 25 August 2020

Aperture Science



I think I've made a Defiler or a Soul Grinder or some sort of daemon engine.  I didn't want to make a Defiler.  In fact I didn't even realise I'd done it until I glued the legs on.  Tzeentch works in mysterious ways.  Or maybe I should say Slaanesh in this case.  I'm still not starting a Chaos army. No, nay never, no more.

I've been cultivating these cobwebs for 5 years. Li 1, my trusty sword Sting and trophies in background.

A large chunk of inspiration for this conversion came from H.R. Giger's work, in particular "Li 1".  Li Tobler (the subject of the painting) was Giger's muse and she hated it so much that she slashed the original with a knife.  She thought it made her look ugly apparently but to me it is otherworldly and beautiful.



So I set about making the head look sort of ethereal, biomechanical insect horror.  I don't know what I'm doing at this point so I'm just going with it.  It's a sort of headress/giant cicada/Cthulhu thing.  Somebody on Facebook asked me for a parts list and I realised that I can't remember it all.  I know it was made from a Creature Caster Queen of Ecstasy, Maulerfiend, Skull Cannon, Disco Lord, Heldrake, Redemptor and random bits.


But some of the additions are a complete mystery.  I have several bitz boxes now and originally categorised everything neatly with separate boxes for Tyranid, Imperial, Necron, Chaos/Ad-Mech, Fantasy and Other.  Some of them had compartments with further subdivisions (heads, guns, arms etc.) There's an entire box of Spine Fists which no self respecting Tyranid player ever uses.  Most non-Tyranid players don't even know what they are.


However, over the past year or two, entropy has gradually crept in and it's all warp infected.  My entire gaming table is covered in sprues, instruction pamphlets, empty boxes and unidentifiable shards of plastic.  The workstation is currently unusable.  It's gotten to the stage where the mental inventory is functioning and I know I have the part but I have no hope in hell of finding it.  A bit like my life really.  I also destroyed a fully painted and magnetised Redemptor Gatling cannon for this little experiment.  A shameful state of affairs.




I feel like Sid in Toy Story.  An evil little boy with some serious issues who mutilates his toys into a disquieting amalgamation of their former selves.  There's even a spider one called 'Babyface' made out of a dolly's head and some Meccano.  I thought it was better than Buzz Lightyear to be honest.  Sid was quite talented before his toys rose up from the dead and Woody did his 'Exorcist' thing.  He is almost certainly an inmate in a mental institution now.



I hope to goodness my spider lady doesn't start talking to me but then Sid's toys never actually spoke either.  He messed them up so badly that they were all dumbstruck, mute.  Toy Story is a pretty horrendous concept when you think about it.

"This is your world, you're the creator.  Find freedom on this canvas" - The Blessed Bob Ross - Imager, Remembrancer, Slaaneshi Cultist. Circa M2.

Nothing Freudian about this.  No sir! Move along now please.

The female of the species is more deadly than the male.

Some girls will, some girls won't
Some girls need a lot of lovin' and some girls don't
Well, I know I've got the fever but I don't know why
Some say they will and some girls lie.

12 comments:

  1. Hey now - there once was a time when Gants with Spinefists were all the rage! Not to say that I don't have a ziplock bag full of the stuff myself...

    I love the pose - looking at the thingy in her hand and the hand poised behind her back ready to slash at anyone going for that booty. Also: the headdress is simply exquisite. Like I said in your last post, very HR Giger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think the spinefists look cool, I just never met anyone who actually used them in a tournament. But then I didn't play Nids from the start and only came in around 5th edition. I'm glad you like the headress :)

      Delete
  2. Some things cannot be unseen...or unheard...or unread...but that's still a very cool conversion! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I'll try not to put any more lyrics from Racey songs in my posts. Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking! Thanks DAM :D

      Delete
  3. You are starting to move in the right direction my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd approve although I was a bit worried about the lack of hooves.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic work as always! Loving the look of how it is coming along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yeah I've got a lot of painting to do!

      Delete
  5. Great Daemon Engine, very Slanneshi I thought, with the Daemonettes aspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Siph, I was going to do her belly button 'tattoo' as a Mark of Slaanesh but didn't have the part :(

      Delete
  6. Oh my god. Look at her butt!
    Sublimely elegant in poise and grace. Seductive balance of power and dark gothic beauty. Slannesh take me now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I wanted her to look regal as well as overtly sexual. 'Dark gothic beauty'! Nice!

      Delete