Monday 21 September 2020

Dirty Harriet


Another reminder that I dislike painting gems, eyes, cloaks and fucking plasma coils.  This is why I never started a Dark Angels army.  Well, not since 1988 anyway.  I really should learn how to do it properly and I do watch tutorials, but I always end up saying to myself, 'No, I've had an idea and I got this.  I know better.  Oh shit, this is the twelfth coat of paint and it's starting to look like blancmange.'

"..being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off.."

Her left eye was so deeply embedded that I ended up using a pin to scratch paint in there.  I honestly don't know how these pro-painters do it.  Gallons of patience, practice and talent I suspect.  And I lost patience eventually so no extreme close ups I'm afraid and lots of backdrop frippery to draw your eye away from her goat eye.  You can't really see it from the photos but I know it's there.  It will keep me awake at night.


Ah, I think I need a break from painting (having done practically none for a month).  It might be time to immerse myself in Path of Exile:  A free to play Diablo clone. It has to be a mesmerisingly addictive game, surely?  Which should be setting off klaxons in OCD police HQ, who carefully monitor all gaming activities from the safety of my forebrain.


Some of the reviews on Steam are hilarious.  One critic from the user base gave it a 'NOT RECOMMENDED' and wrote, "This game has become ridiculous and it is over to me." Having logged over 2,600 hours in the game.  I'm not kidding.  Every reviewer has their game time tagged in the review to prove that they've actually played it and not just for 5 minutes.  That's well over a year of full time work!  How is that even possible?  If you don't hear from me again then you'll know I got sucked in.



20 comments:

  1. I only see a Loyalist, shes going to do the Scorpions Proud. And Good Luck with not getting sucked in, its lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I want to be able to use her in games so she has to blend in, even if she is an agent of Chaos!

      Delete
  2. Loving everything about this mini. Strong play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't intend to champion female marines tbh but I got some weird feedback from a few people. One admin deleted my post on a Facebook group. Perversely, this just makes me want to do it more.

      Delete
    2. Your photo probably made him feel all tingly in his pee pee place and he felt confused and afraid.

      Delete
    3. Don't you start! This is a friendly blog.

      Delete
  3. Looks fantastic and it’s good to stretch your painting comfort zones occasionally, bet you are glad you did

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dammit I'm a lazy git and everything should be easy! No you're right. A lot of painting is just technique and I should take the time to learn it properly.

      Delete
  4. Well; that's a gorgeous model. Great work! I wouldn't fret over a thing....except perhaps the pending gaming addiction! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers DAM. I haven't installed the game yet. The skill trees are labyrinthine and it looks like a huge time-sink.

      Delete
  5. So badass! Love the conversion - may she destroy all that stand in her way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well she did ok in her debut game and didn't die (highly unusual!). But then I haven't played a game of 9th which got past turn 3 yet! Cheers Xar.

      Delete
  6. Awesome work mate; especially that stormy blue, just gorgeous. My 9th Edition Dark Angels army has 24 plasma coils in it so far... and counting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Thunderhawk Blue is one of my faves. Lol, I bet you can paint plasma coils in your sleep! (or you will be able to soon)

      Delete
  7. The blue ones are the bad ones, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your red scorpions mate. I have actually attempted to steam your colour scheme, but obviously much, much worse painting. Is that free hand on the shield? Absolutely amazing work. You should consider starting a YouTube tutorial channel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The shield has a decal on it from the Forgeworld Red Scorpions transfer sheet and the shoulder pad is Forgeworld too. I originally painted free hand chapter symbols but it nearly drove me mad so I took the easier route!

      Delete
  9. Renders the debate moot in my book. She totally works, especially as an AoS model. In fact I think it's that that makes her work as a Space Marine, more so than the male Stormcast. It's a halfway point between a Sister of Battle and full power armoured marine. I really like it and I've got 3 of these myself so may give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yus! Spreading corruption, one blogger at a time! I just realised I forgot to put her sword on. Damn.

      Delete