Sunday 18 May 2014

Nom Nomms Relay

What are Imperial Comms Relays made of?  Sugar and spice and all things nice, thats what little Comms Relays are made of.


What are Tyranid Comms Relays made of?  Mawloc's nails and Trygon Prime tails, thats what Niddy Comms Relays are made of.


I was going for a grotesque parody of a satellite dish here with just a soupcon of exotic flower.  I think I pulled it off.  At the very least I won't be tempted to build another Mawloc, only to suffer the ignominy of it emerging 7" away from the intended target with its dick in its hand and about a million pulse rifles set to 'rapid fire' pointing at it.  Assuming of course that my opponent is stupid enough not to put all his Fire Warriors in the first floor of a building with supporting fire and interceptor units nearby (he isn't).  I think I've used all my spare Mawloc jaws in this conversion and they may well be put to better use ensuring that my reserves arrive in a timely fashion.


It was fun to build at any rate and might come in handy with my Aegis Defence Line (sorry, Wargamma Spawn Hive Linked Barricade set) which is also finished.  Its more of a kit bash than a conversion really and needed minimum green stuffing.  I melted the tendrils from the maws a bit to make them look like cables at the back.  The 'stamen' in the middle of the flower were made from gardening wire and intended to look like antennae.  I also had to heat and bend the feeder pipe from a Heavy Venom cannon around the stem. Apart from that its mainly just odds and ends from my bitz box.


The Defence Line has underperformed so far but I think that may be down to my inexperience and deployment of it.  Hilariously, in its first ever outing (against Adepta Sororitas), it provided cover to the Battle Sisters on the other side whilst simultaneously providing no cover whatsoever to my poor Termagants against their flamers.  To add insult to injury, the gaunts were forced to charge through difficult terrain as they clambered over the bloody thing.  One day, I'll learn to play this game properly and then they will fear me!


7 comments:

  1. Utterly fantastic. Extremely envious of the Comms relay, brilliant idea and execution. don't know if it's of help but have some fun with the Aegis in the shapes you make, Y shapes, S shapes, U shapes and obviously I and O shapes. S shapes allow you to layer your defence, good for making sure your opponent has a whole lot of wall and models to go through for the objective at the back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, definitely need more practice. I didn't realise you could do 'Y' shapes with Defence Lines and thought they all had to link up like a chain. Interesting, thanks.

      Delete
  2. First place at the Chelsea Flower Show :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well it won't be used against you after last week's performance. I'm sick of trying to be clever and will just run at you next game.
      "Flash'd all their sabres bare,
      Flash'd as they turn'd in air,
      Sabring the gunners there,
      Charging an army, while
      All the world wonder'd:"

      Delete
  3. Yep, I play tau. If you run at my army, it's only response is a mass production of Blu-tac. The multi shape defence lines may be a good idea to try. It'd even complicate life for skimmers cos they'd have to dangerous terrain to land on the mess you make. Although I can just buy an upgrade to ignore that too :P. Tech beats evolution every time. :D - that and the fact I cheated (by accident) last game with some of my rerolls.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the relay. Any chance you do commission? O.o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks but I'm not sure I could build another one exactly the same :$ Besides, you need 3 Mawloc kits to make one which is a bit pricey unless you have the bits lying around.

      Delete